One way to keep the air in your apartment smelling fresh is to get plants that will naturally clean the air. Some Christmas decorations and apartment air purifying plants store Brooklyn will even remove toxins that may be present, enabling you to have healthier air for you and your family.
Besides removing carbon dioxide – which all plants will do – some plants can even remove volatile organic compounds (VOCs). These chemicals are often found in products that you may not even suspect such as in your carpet or in synthetic building materials.
When your apartment has unwanted VOCs in it, your health, as well as the health of your children, may be affected. They can develop asthma, respiratory illnesses, nausea, and possibly even cancer. Besides cleaning the air, they also add beauty to your rooms, will reduce stress, and can increase your mood.
In research, NASA has determined that the best plants to purify the air include:
- Garden Mums – This plant is both beautiful and inexpensive. It removes benzene, formaldehyde, ammonia, and xylene.
- Dracaena – This plant has more than 40 different varieties. It will remove formaldehyde, benzene, trichloroethylene, and xylene from the air. It is toxic to cats and dogs.
- Peace Lily – When you want a flower that will bloom most of the summer, this is the one you want. It is a small plant, so you may want more than one – but it does produce pollen. It requires shade. It will remove benzene, formaldehyde, ammonia, and trichloroethylene from the air.
- Snake Plant – This plant is very hardy – and hard to kill. It prefers drier conditions and a little water. It will remove the following pollutants: trichloroethylene, benzene, formaldehyde, and xylene.
- Barberton Daisy – This pretty flower comes in several colors and will brighten any spot in your home. It will remove trichloroethylene, formaldehyde, and xylene from the air. It requires lots of natural light and some water to keep the soil moist.
- English Ivy – This plant is a climbing one and the light requirements will vary – depending on the variety. It will remove a variety of chemicals that include benzene, formaldehyde, trichloroethylene, and more. It will cause problems when eaten by humans or animals.
- Chinese Evergreen – This plant enjoys being in high humidity (perfect for the bathroom) and it prefers low light. It will remove benzene, trichloroethylene, and formaldehyde from the air. The plant is toxic to dogs.
Before buying a plant for your home, you should always to be sure that it is safe for children or animals. Some of them are poisonous to one or the other – or to both.
Brooklyn Plantology has the largest plant store in the New York City and tri-state area. We sell plants obtained from all over the world, including many types of Christmas decorations and apartment air purifying plants store Brooklyn. We also have all the pots, fertilizer, glassware, and anything else you need to keep your plants healthy. Our 20,000 square foot store is something that any plant lover must see.
26 South Market Street
Brooklyn, NY 11236